Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Pride highs are high and the lows are low

I walked past the Majestic on Sunday night on my way to Ginger 62, thinking that I would head back to the Majestic after dropping off some heteros in a hetero-homo nuetral space. I was surprised to see cops guarding the front door to the bar and the beer garden torn down.

But hey, when I was in my early twenties, I tried to pick fights with any guy who elected to hit on my boyfriend at the time. Hormones + me = crazy. I will not lie.

Anyway, I thought the cops were there because of a post-Pride parade brawl and nothing more. Testosterone. Liquor. It was a long hot day. And sometimes people get a little touchy feely during Pride. Sometimes people should really shake your hand when you say hello instead of shaking something else. I'm just saying.

So you can imagine my surprise when I found out my father had called last night to ask whether or not my sister or I had been attacked on Davie Street on Sunday. We hadn't, but it turned out the the Majestic GM Richard, was attacked while trying to protect other people from being victimized.

I had just briefly met Richard on Saturday afternoon, with a friend of mine who was recording Rapture, and Richard is not only intelligent, charming and driven, but also well-read and very easy on the eyes (check out his video interview here).

I hope everyone attacked is recovering all right. Even hearing this second hand makes me furious - we need more mental health facilities in the Lower Mainland and more shelters for homeless people. Something to consider when you vote for the new provincial government on May 12th.

For the record, the Majestic has the best beer garden during Pride. They have also relaunched their entertainment format and are quickly becoming recognized as one of the best clubs as well. I'll be posting some info on there upcoming events here on Right Up Your Alley and also in my column. Here's a blast from the past:




Here's the story from Sunday, as reported by the CBC:

Man arrested after hammer attacks during Vancouver Pride celebrations

Last Updated: Monday, August 4, 2008 | 10:02 PM ET Comments108Recommend61

A Vancouver man is in police custody following a series of violent attacks in the midst of otherwise peaceful gay pride celebrations in Vancouver Sunday.

Police say the incident began when the 31-year-old man was chased into the street by a shop owner after allegedly stealing a drink from a corner store on Davie St. in the West End around 10:30 p.m. PT. The owner of Tutti's convenience store, Reza Khalaj, said the man was wearing a black wig and black glasses and was carrying a hammer and a handgun.

He then allegedly began attacking people in nearby restaurants and bars with a hammer, beginning at the Majestic restaurant and lounge. Six people there were struck with the hammer, including one who was knocked unconscious.

"He ran to the Majestic, and he started hitting people with the hammer," Khalaj said. "I saw the black gun in his hand, and he started … just smashing the people with the hammer."

The man then moved on to a nearby restaurant patio, where he allegedly struck two women and a man. He also pointed an imitation handgun at a man who tried to subdue him, said Vancouver police Const. Jana McGuinness.

Nine people were taken to hospital with injuries, none of which appears to be life-threatening. The man faces 17 charges, including assault causing bodily harm, assault with a weapon, possession of a prohibited weapon and a count of theft under $5,000, police said.

The owner of Majestic, Vince Marino, said it was a terrible way to end an otherwise jubilant day.

"It was an amazing day," he said. "People were just enjoying [themselves]. It was probably one of the best Prides that we've had. And it's just been sort of a sad way to end it, a bit."

Two Majestic employees were among those injured in the attacks, Marino said.

Hundreds of thousands of people attended Vancouver's annual gay pride parade on Sunday.

The attack, however, does not appear to be the result of a hate crime, according to McGuiness.

"This is obviously a random, unpredictable, violent series of assaults," she said.

McGuiness said the man in custody has a history of mental illness and was already known to police.




No comments: