Monday, August 18, 2008

Vancouver's Prim Reaper speaks: "Has Manhunt Destroyed Gay Culture?"

Two nights ago, a good friend of mine sent me a link to one of the most interesting articles on gay culture that I've read in years...perhaps ever. I've had to take some time to think about it and what it says about being gay and gay culture. According to the author, things aren't looking good...

The article is courtesy of out.com, which, for your information, is in direct competition with Manhunt. Although I have reservations about the politics behind Out publishing this article, I don't have the same reservations about what is being said.

I've even heard that Manhunt is about to launch a new site, just for bottoms. They are calling it "Mancunt".

Okay no. I stole that joke from Billeh Nickerson, but you'd almost believe it after reading the original article.

What are your thoughts? Send them to vancouvergayblog@gmail.com or comment on this post. I will anonymously post them in a future post.

What are my thoughts?

Now it's a well-known fact in some social circles that I am the Prim Reaper. In fact if you took:

and added a little bit of this guy:


(shudder - yes that is picture George W Bush oogling an Olympic beach volleyball player)

you'd end up with something that looked a little bit like this:

(me)

Prim Reaper. Serial monogamist. I've been called a lot of things in my day. Which is interesting when you look at my name. Horlor...hmm...even as my blog rival (Right Up Your Alley: Kamloops) recently pointed out, my last name seems to lend itself to easy (and I mean easy) jokes: horny, whore, whore lure, horny horror...if you can think it, I have heard it at least once this lifetime. Trust me.

I do prefer meeting people the following way over the Manhunt way though:



Yes, yes, it's old fashioned. And the video clip I use to illustrate my point is ten minutes long. Ten minutes long?!? Why that's longer than most one night stands! (yes, I am retiring that line after this post). And on top of all that, they aren't even speaking English. But it gives me hope, gentlemen. Hope that North American TV will eventually catch up its European counterpart. Hope that from some, romance is still preferred over a quick anonymous fuck.

No comments: