Friday, August 1, 2008

Vancouver Pride Gaydown: T-minus 3

I'd like to dedicate this blog in memory of my friend Matt Davy who passed away last week. He was a well-known and well-respected figure in the Vancouver community. He DJ'd my first official go-go dancing gig two years ago and decided to fuck around with the other dancers and I by playing slow blues songs. Matt had a good sense of humour, the kind that really pissed me off at the time, though in hindsight, I'm sure we looked funny trying to do a slow sensual go-go, which was the point (and I'll be the first to admit that I frequently miss the point)

Here's a note from his Facebook memorial page:

There will be a Memorial service Saturday August 2 in Chilliwack, BC at Henderson's Funeral Home. Services start at 2:00PM. The address is as follows: 45901 Victoria Avenue,Chiliwack, BC. For more information call 1-800-282-3055.

There will also be an special event for folks here in Vancouver. I ♥ Matt Davy: A Celebration of Matt and Music on Monday, August 4th at the Anza Club, 3 – 8th Ave. West (off Ontario), in Vancouver from 7 PM to 12:00 Midnight.

Do not feel you need to arrive at 7 PM sharp as the evening will start with some mingling and reminiscing before the dance floor heats up. Please bring your dancing shoes as well as some of your favourite Matt Davy memories. (As this event is licensed, we are not able to admit minors. Please remember to bring your government ID.)

Sketch by Iain Gardner

* Make sure to check out the Davie Street Party tomorrow night - between Bute and Burrard from 7-midnight.

No comments: