Monday, August 11, 2008

Vancouver Queer Film Festival


The Vancouver Queer Film Festival is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year and the shows begin this Thursday (Aug 14) at various cinemas around town. I've put in a few emails to the VQFF brass. I'm hoping to cover the festival and review movies here on Right Up Your Alley. I'll let you know what they say: yay or nay. There will be a story behind either answer, though I'm hoping VQFF Executive Director Drew Dennis will say yes to an interview and I can get some perspective on what's going to hit Vancouver over the next two weeks. Check out the staff bios here - judging by Drew's photo and bio, two words that come to mind are: "principled heartbreaker". Meow! That's a rarity in Vancouver, so maybe you should check out the festival and hell, you might as well volunteer and meet some new people while you're at it.

I'm not an extensive globe trotter but I have been to both Cuba and Thailand in the past two years. Unsurprisingly, two film selections this year are calling to me: Two Homelands: Cuba and the Night and Bangkok Love Story.

Here are the trailers:





I am so excited, I could just shit myself.

In other news, I opened up my blogmail this morning and a regular reader asked me to post the following:


I watched the feature length version countless times as a kid with my younger sister. Thanks, C, for sending this my way. It's the right sort of post-Pride chill out that I was looking for.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

This video is practically giving me a seizure. All it needs is the occasional strobe light.