Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Vancouver Pride Gaydown: P-minus 12 days

One day into my Pride Gaydown and I've got some bad news that's bumping back my planned pride-based blogging in favour of an obit/tribute to the marvelousness that was Estelle Getty in her role as Sophia Petrillo on Golden Girls:

If you haven't heard, she died today. Here's a quality obit from the folks at Yahoo if you want to learn more about her struggles/accomplishments as an actor.

I watched Golden Girls religiously as a child with my younger sister. Coincidence that I turned out gay? You be the judge.

Anyway, in light of the Estelle Getty news, rayon caftans in saucy safari prints, oversized straw purses and Bea Arthur's husky baritone haunted my daydreams all day long. And as usual, the mere thought of Bea Arthur led me to hope that time travel will some day be possible so that I can go back in time and become a writer for Golden Girls, thereby changing history so scenes in the show featured a lot more peeing, either implied via the closed bathroom door, or actual peeing, like Oprah in the movie Beloved.

And on that note, I give you video clips. Here's one of my all-time favourites...and bonus! subtitles in a language I don't recognize:



And for all those who fail to capitalize on dick o'clock:



And for the legshavers...

No comments: