Sunday, July 27, 2008

Vancouver Pride Gaydown: T-minus 9, 8 & 7

My original plans to blog every day of these pre-Pride weeks, were interupted by a split from my three year partner (sad but necessary) and the death of a good friend's best friend. This Pride's already been a rollercoaster and we are just meeting the one week gaydown mark today. With all the bad out of the way, I'm expending nothing except good times from this point on. Maybe I'll film my exploits this week and call the doc: How Sean Got His Gay Back (starring me as a sassy ofttimes inebriated twenty-something with all the wrong things to say, a penchant for monosyllabic grunting and passion for short shorts that cannot--nay: will not--ever be quenched!)

Okay. Enough of that. Now for the good stuff: while out doing my duties for Xtra West over the weekend, I saw more cops this weekend than Ive seen the entire three years I've lived in Vancouver. And I'm happy to report that the stache is back with the fine men (and women) of our law force.

The motorcycle cops were riding in pairs, up and down West End streets, dumping liquor, searching bags, sometimes arresting the hobos, nobos and gentlemen loafers who haunt our fine alley ways. My newly single thoughts turned, of course, to CHIPs reruns and that devil-may-care Officer Francis 'Ponch' Poncherello and his lusty yet trusty sidekick Officer Jonathan Baker.
Let's take a closer look at Poncherello:

Bienvenue indeed! Where can I gets me some of those satin sheets, Erik Estrada? You know how to get in touch with me. I'm all ears, hermoso. ¡DIME!

North Vancouver also had some Latin action this weekend with its annual Caribbean Days Festival. With all the dancehall anti-gay homo-bashing headlines in the papers nowadays, I wasn't expecting to find a big gay presence.

Newsflash: there wasn't one.

But I like dancehall and I like dancehall MCs who know their shit and can rock a crowd. Vancouver's own Third Eye Tribe put on a show. These three should be signed to a label and playing arenas. They remind me of the old Black Eyed Peas pre-Fergie. Find Third Eye Tribe's CD, go to their live shows. The female MC killed it. Here's a sample - I was too busy listening to get a video from a stronger song:



Here's the finale from last night's fireworks show. The crowd liked Canada's show on Wednesday better.



And guess what? My new boyfriend just won the Roger's Cup in Toronto? If you don't know Rafael Nadal or follow tennis, maybe you should do your homework. He's on his way to number one...weeeeeooooooo!
And here's some love from me to you. Who likes the Skytrain? Anyone? Anyone?

No comments: